"Helping You Sew Smarter-everyday" is the tagline for PatternReview.com. It is an apt description of the site. PatternReview.com has online sewing classes, pattern and sewing machine reviews and even sponsors sewing contests to assist members who are sewing hobbyists or professionals.
The site is very interactive with more than 300,000 members from around the world, discussing personal sewing projects on message boards and asking and answering each others questions. Members can also access helpful information on sewing products they might want to purchase and can read product reviews. Members may also review products themselves and upload the information to the site.
There are currently more than 100,000 reviews on the site.
PatternReview.com has two options for membership:
- Basic Free Membership-includes access to all review and message boards. The basic free membership entitles members to one free sewing lesson.
- Friends of PR Membership-includes 10% off at Joann Fabrics and other stores, 10% off plus free shipping on products and sewing classes, on-line resources, personalized patter catalogs. Private messaging, daily e-mail, classifieds and a sewing machine feature comparison tool. The cost of a paid membership is $16.50 for six months or $29.99 for 12 months.
PatternReview.com sells a variety of sewing products: patterns, audio books, videos, online sewing classes, buttons, gifts and more.
PatternReview.com's founder is Deepika Prakash who began sewing in 2001 founded PatternReview.com that same year. She found a niche and filled it when she discovered there were no other sewing pattern review sites. A natural curiosity about how a given project would look when completed drove her to search for the finished project or pattern on-line. PatternReview.com was born from that curiosity.
Deepika founded PatternReview.com from her home in Massachusetts. She started the site with just one pattern review. She has written a book by the same name- PatternReview.com-1000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips: Top-Rated Favorites from Sewing Fans and Master Teacher
The following two reviews of PatternReview.com were posted on Facebook.
- Luana- I have enjoyed the site and the forum. Through Pattern Review, I bought a fantastic sewing machine, and I love it. I am back in the world of sewing again - with a fairly slow start.
- Linda- I want to tell you I joined last night & stumbled on the option of Pattern Stash. How great is that. I have been trying to create a custom template in Bento & it has not been going well. I am very happy.
- "I gave up sewing my own clothes 10 years ago but have recently started again. Patternreview.com is just the most fantastic website ever, it really has revolutionised my sewing. New ideas abound on the site everyday."
Amazon.com Editorial Review of Deepika Prakesh book, PatternReview.com-1000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips:Top-Rated Favorites from Sewing Fans and Master Teachers, inspired by the website.
- The title says it all. Prakash has assembled a plethora of handy sewing tips from her popular website, PatternReview.com. The tips are brief and arranged by general topic, from organizing one’s sewing space to sewing. “Master Classes” on specialized topics, such as sewing knits or embroidering with beads, are interspersed. There’s a lot of good information here, crafters with sewing experience are sure to find something useful. - Library Journal, December 1, 2010
There are very few reviews of PatternReview.com on external sites. The reviews which are found on PatternReview.com are of products and other sewing websites. However perhaps the fact that PatternReview.com has 300,000 plus active members speaks for itself. The on-line community is very active and the tone is very friendly and helpful.
From the PatternReview.com site:
- I am continually blown away by the community created here on PR. SO many talented and creative minds ruminating in one spot. I value the motivation, inspiration and ideas I get from others and it's always a thrill when someone is inspired by my work. My only regret is not having found PR sooner, however, I am very happy to be entering a new year with PR and all of the sewing friends made here. Happy New Year and best wishes to all!! Dorcas
12/31/12 1:07 PM
- In case you haven't heard it in a while: Thank you for setting up this site. I have been sewing my own clothing since I was about 8 years old (started sewing at 5) but there will *always* be something new to learn. It is nice to have this website to turn to for help and advice.
There is no opinion about PatternReview.com on Epinion.com and Consumer Reports does report anything about the site, good or bad, neither does CNet.
Externally speaking there are not a lot of customer reviews out there for the PatternReview.com. However, consumers have a lot to say about the founder Deepika Prakesh. Consumers are very positive.
PatternReview.com is not registered with the Better Business Bureau. There is no record with the BBB on the quality of the site, and there are no complaints registered. The Better Business Bureau has not given PatternReview.com a rating.
PatternReview.com's founder, Deepika Prakash was featured on the PBS sewing program It's Sew Easy. The show takes viewers through sewing series, with seasoned professionals. Prakash was an instructor in the shows three hundred series.
PatternReview.com's business credibility is good. It would have rated a higher credibility score if it had been registered with the BBB.
Google Ranks PatternReview.com with five out of ten possible points in page ranking.
Globally, PatternReview.com had 57,746 visitors over a three month period, according to Alexa and 12,448 in the United States. Visitors to the site hit on average, 4.3 unique pages per day. Forty percent of visitors bounce (register only one page view).
There are 1708 external sites that link to Pattern Review.com. A few websites that link include:
Compete.com numbers visitors to the site at 102,407 or 9.01% a month/ 0.84% for the year and places the company in third place in comparison to its competitor's number of visitors and ranking. PatternReview.com is third behind; yandex.ru and simplicity.com.
PatternReview.com beats out bloesemblogs.com and galsh.com.
PatternReview.com has a very active Facebook following. Viewers have left more than 5000 likes and memebership continues to grow. At present there are almost 300,000 Facebook members. The site is updated regularly with helpful tips, pattern reviews, info on where to get free patterns and prompts to get visitors started sewing, etc.
PatternReview.com has a very active presence on Pinterest.
PatternReview.com operates a blog which is updated often. The blog has some of the same information available that is on Facebook. Members are allowed to add questions, answer questions and upload pictures. Members can also access other members via the blog.
People are Tweeting about Pattern Review.com, and the site has a Twitter page.
The site's Twitter following is over twleve hundred people. PatternReview.com has Tweeted more than thirteen hundred tweets.
The company's social media presence is excellent. Customers are talking about the products in the PatternReview.com chat room, via Facebook, Pinterest and through consumers Twitter Tweets.
There is no suspicious activity associated to PatternReview.com at the time of writing. Google's Safe Browsing Diagnostic tested seventy-two pages on the site. Over a 90 day period there was no suspicious activity, content, or malicious software.
PatternReview.com utilizes TRUSTe to ensure safe purchasing. It is also certified by PayPal and GoDaddy.com.
Compared to prices of patterns that can also be found in brick and mortar stores like JoAnn Fabrics, PatternReview.com's prices are more affordable. However, higher prices are attached to more unique varietes that are not manuffactured by companies like, Simplicity, McCalls, Vogue, etc.
Downloadable books vary in price. PR paid members receive discounts on everything the site sells.
On-line classes vary in price depending on the complexity of the project.
PatternReview.com has an exlusive page for 'Friends of PR'. Deal Corner features special discounts that are available for PatternReview.com members that pay $29.95 a year. Each week new deals are added.
PatternReview.com ships domestically and internationally. Customers who add more patterns will be charged .99 cents per additional pattern.
- Domestic First class- $2.99
- Domestic Priority- $5.49
- International Shipping- $13.99
- First Class to Canada- $5.25
- Priority Mail to Canada- $13.99
Friends of PR get special shipping benefits:
- Free domestic shipping on orders in the amount of $25.00
- Members who spend $50.00 will receive free shipping on domestic shipping
- International Friends of PR receive a 20% discount on orders that are $25.00
Discounted shipping prices and free shipping are only available on patterns which ship from PatternReview.com and not from company's featured on the site.
Consumers that may qualify for free shipping and whose package exceeds 1lb may recieve the item by parcel post . Parcel Post may take 2 weeks to be delivered. Choose Priority mail to guarantee quicker delivery.
PatternReview.com has only two available methods that consumers may pay for products and classes. Consumers may pay via major credit card or PayPal. The site accepts American Express, MasterCard or Visa. Debit cards with these logos are also accepted. No other methods of payment are available at this time.
PatternReview.com is a little strict about returns and refunds.
- There is only one exception for returns and refunds of CD's, books and patterns; These items may only be returned for refunds if the wrong item is sent. If the items are returned to PatternReview.com because of a wrong address or insufficient address, the purchaser will be charged a 5% handling and shipping fee, before customers will receive a partial refund.
- Customers who pay for Sewing Classes by PayPal or Credit Card may receive a full refund of the class fee, if the class has not yet started. A 5% charge will be applied if the request is made 15 days after the payment is made.
- Consumers paying via PayPal or Credit Card may get a full refund of the class fee if the request is made up to 15 days after payment was made and if the class has not yet started. A 5% fee will be applied from the payment of consumers who cancel after 15 days. The balance will be credited back to PayPal or the consumers credit card.
- Customers paying by check may receive a 95% refund if paying via check, you can get a 95% refund, which reflects a 5% fee debit from the amount.
- Fees on kits (for dropped classes) which have already shipped will not be refunded. The fee for the class will also not be refunded if the kits have already been shipped to the consumer.
- Members of PatternReview.com may be refunded membership dues up to thirty days before their account is charged. In otherwords a refund is available on the cost of membership if the consumer drops the membership thirty days before the payment is due.
Best Available PatternReview.com Coupon: